Monday, July 15, 2024

Prince Harry takes part in new TV documentary exploring his legal battles in the UK

Must read

Prince Harry is taking part in a new TV documentary exploring his legal battles in the UK.

ITV has announced that the Duke of Sussex will take part in a documentary about phone hacking, which he is currently fighting through the UK courts.


Speaking to reporter Rebecca Barry, Prince Harry, 39, explained why he is fighting to expose what the duke says are the illegal activities of Britain’s tabloid newspapers.

Actor Hugh Grant, singer Charlotte Church, and footballer Paul Gascoigne are also taking part in the TV special.

Prince Harry

Prince Harry is taking part in a new TV documentary exploring his legal battles in the UK.

ITV

The programme, “Tabloids on Trial”, will air on ITV1 at 9pm on July 25.

The claimants in the ongoing court case, which include the Duke of Sussex, have argued that News Group Newspapers (NGN), the publisher of The Sun, concealed evidence of phone hacking.

The company has previously said The Sun does not accept liability or make any admissions to the allegations.

In April, Mr Justice Fancourt said NGN, which also published the News of the World, had a “real as opposed to fanciful chance of succeeding” in winning the court case.

Prince Harry and Rebecca Barry

Prince Harry speaking to Rebecca Barry in the upcoming programme

ITV

The two sides are due to go to a full trial on claims of phone hacking and unlawful information gathering in January 2025.

NGN hoped to win a preliminary trial by showing the claimants could have made their allegations years ago.

If successful, those cases would have been disposed of, and the others would be more likely to settle out of court.

However, Mr Justice Fancourt said it was “far from straightforward” to decide which cases should be part of the preliminary trial, and there was a “considerable risk” the additional hearings would add to the mounting legal costs.

Prince HarryPrince Harry has multiple ongoing court cases in the UK and the USReuters

LATEST ROYAL DEVELOPMENTS:

Prince Harry

The High Court previously ruled Prince Harry was a victim of phone hacking

PA

He also said a preliminary process would delay a full trial that the claimants have been waiting for since 2022.

The judge said: “I consider there are too few advantages at this stage to abandoning the orderly preparation of a trial of all the issues, to hold a trial of just one issue.”

Mr Justice Fancourt additionally pointed out that either side could have appealed, further delaying the legal battle.

Latest article