Thursday, July 25, 2024

PIP payment rules for people holidaying outside the UK this summer

Must read

Individuals on Personal Independence Payments (PIP), totalling around 3.5 million people, are urged to advise the Department for Work and Pensions ( DWP ) of any significant changes or risk having support payments halted. The acts of altering your name, doctor, healthcare provider or address do not necessitate a notifying DWP.

However, UK residents looking to travel internationally for more than four weeks could see an impact on their benefits. As stated in the’s 2024 PIP Handbook: “This change may affect the claimant’s entitlement to PIP. We will need to know the date the claimant is leaving the country, how long they are planning to be out of the country, which country they are going to and why they are going abroad.”

For those desiring a prolonged getaway this year, it would be wise to promptly provide the requested details to DWP – and take this into account this factor when making travel plans, reports the Daily Record.

How to report a change of circumstances to DWP

You can report a change of circumstances to the PIP enquiry line on 0800 121 4433, which is open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Here’s a detailed guide to all the changes in circumstances and whether you need to contact the DWP about them

Changes to daily living or mobility needs

For instance, if you require more or less help or support, or if your condition will last for a longer or shorter time than you previously informed the DWP, you should notify them. This change may affect your entitlement to PIP, the amount and the period of the PIP award.

Latest article