Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Meghan Markle tipped to join Prince Harry at major event tomorrow despite backlash

Must read

Meghan Markle is being tipped to join Prince Harry at a major event tomorrow despite the public backlash.

The Duke of Sussex is set to be given a memorial award set up in the name of Pat Tillman in Los Angeles on July 11.


However, there has been a furious reaction to Harry’s nomination for the award, including public criticism from Tillman’s mother Mary.

A petition demanding the TV network ESPN rethink its decision has been launched, claiming the Duke of Sussex had been “involved in controversies that call into question his suitability to receive an honour of this magnitude”.

Meghan Markle tipped to join Prince Harry at major event tomorrow despite backlash

Getty

It has since reached 70,000 signatures.

The duke, 39, was nominated for the award due to his work as the founder of the Invictus Games.

It has not been confirmed whether or not Meghan Markle, 42, will accompany her husband to the glitzy awards show in LA.

Gareth Russell, a royal commentator, spoke exclusively to GB News to explain the likelihood of the Duchess of Sussex making an appearance.

Pat TillmanPrince Harry is set to be honoured with the Pat Tillman AwardGetty

He said: “It’s certainly a big celebrity event, and that’s, of course, the environment in which the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are circulating at the moment.

“She has accompanied him to events similar to this in the past, so it’s possible that she’ll be there.

“Certainly, it’s a very high-profile event, I imagine, for many in America.”

A source close to Harry told The Telegraph the duke has been left stunned by the backlash to his nomination.

Mary TillmanMary Tillman has spoken out against the duke’s nominationGetty

LATEST ROYAL DEVELOPMENTS:

Prince Harry

Prince Harry is facing an uncomfortable situation as a petition to stop the Duke of Sussex from receiving an award has reached 70,000 signatures

Getty

The source said: “Harry’s legacy on Invictus, the things he has achieved, that’s his real passion. This is the space in which he truly feels at home, it is something he deeply cares about. The reaction certainly took the shine off the award.”

Last week, ESPN released a statement highlighting the Duke of Sussex’s achievements with the Invictus Games following the backlash.

The organisation said: “ESPN, with the support of the Tillman Foundation, is honouring Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, specifically for the work of The Invictus Games Foundation as it celebrates its 10th year promoting healing through the power of sport for military service members and veterans around the world.

“While we understand not everyone will agree with all honorees selected for any award, The Invictus Games Foundation does incredible work and ESPN believes this is a cause worth celebrating.”

Latest article