Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Charles issues three-word cancer update as he beams during late night opera trip

Must read

King Charles looked dapper in a suit as he appeared on the Royal Opera House stage in London last night.

He walked across the stage hand in hand with performers at a gala celebrating the conductor at his coronation.

The 75-year-old beamed as he attended a special gala performance in tribute to the outgoing music director for the Royal Opera House, Sir Antonio Pappano, on Thursday evening. 

The one-off performance celebrated Sir Antonio’s extensive 22-year tenure in the job, which saw him conduct the Coronation Orchestra last year.

Asked how he was feeling after the show, Charles, who has been receiving treatment for cancer, replied: “Not too bad.”

It featured performances by renowned opera artists and musicians including Aigul Akhmetshina, Jonas Kaufmann, Bryn Terfel, The Royal Opera Chorus and The Orchestra of the Royal Opera House. 

At the conclusion of the show, the King joined the outgoing director on stage and met with principal artists and musicians.

After the curtain fell Charles and Sir Antonio spoke about the time that has passed since the coronation last May.

Sir Antonio said: “He was just so generous in his praise, and genuinely so, and that means everything, he loves music.

“He knighted me, and I’ve done several events at Buckingham Palace over the years where he’s been the engine for those things, and of course I conducted at the coronation, so we’ve done quite a few events.”

He said about the gala: “These kinds of programmes are almost impossible, with so many different pieces from one to the other, but the feeling that everybody wanted to be here, we had a full house, the King was here.”

Latest article